Is it officially soup season yet? Midwesterners rejoice- Grub Steak has a soup that will transport your taste buds home. Wild rice and mushrooms lend this soup an earthy element that will comfort your soul and warm your belly. Break out the stockpot and start mixing up a big batch of this warm, earthy soup.
- 1/2 pound wild rice
- 1/2 cup veggie base (optional)
- 1 1/2 gallons water
- 1 head celery, diced
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 1/2 cup au jus base
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon garlic granules
- 2 1/2 pounds button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 pounds margarine
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup cooking sherry
- Cook the wild rice according to the package directions (add the veggie base for additional flavoring).
- In a large stockpot, add the water, celery, onion, au jus base, red wine, thyme and garlic.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, cream and wild rice.
- Bring back to a boil.
- Meanwhile, make a roux by melting the margarine over medium heat.
- Whisk the flour into the margarine until a thick, rough paste forms.
- Add the roux to the soup and then add the sherry.
- Stir to combine.