Chicken piccata: a dish of chicken breasts that have been dredged in seasoned flour and browned, served with a sauce of butter, lemon juice, capers and white wine.
While chicken piccata is traditionally served over linguine or spaghetti, Versante serves their delicious version over a bed of zucchini noodles. This low-carb swaps makes it an ideal option when you’re craving something flavorful and hearty, but still healthy.
With the lemon and bursts of flavor from the salty capers, we can’t get over all that is packed into this dish. Venture to Versante to try it for yourself, or break out the pots and pans to give it a whirl at home.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 4 8-ounce chicken breasts, bone in, skin on
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 8 zucchini (optional: mix zucchini and yellow squash for color)
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 small shallot, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns (optional)
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon capers
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oven to 350 F.
- Combine flour, salt and pepper.
- Dredge chicken breasts in seasoned flour.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil on medium-high heat and gently place seasoned chicken in hot oil, searing to a golden brown on all sides.
- Place on baking sheet.
- Finish in oven for 10 minutes or to an internal temperature of 165 F.
- Remove and cut in half.
- Let rest.
- Using the julienne attachment on a mandolin or spiralizer, slice the vegetables lengthwise, skin on.
- Set aside.
- Place the shallots, bay leaf, thyme, peppercorns, garlic, wine and lemon juice in a saucepan.
- Heat on low-medium heat, reducing to almost dry.
- Add heavy cream, continuing cooking until reduced by half.
- Slowly whisk in butter a little at a time, whisking constantly.
- Strain through a fine strainer.
- Fold in capers, season with salt and pepper.
- Sauce should be velvety and light yellow.
- Melt butter in a saute pan.
- Add zucchini noodles, saute until soft, season with salt and pepper.
- Using tongs, twist noodles to create height.
- Stack chicken on top of noodles.
- Ladle beurre blanc over chicken.
- Garnish with fresh herbs and a grilled lemon wheel.