2017 has finally arrived, and we think that calls for a bloody mary! Our newest recipe comes from one of our favorite Main Street locales, Tupelo. As with most things on their menu, Chef Matt Harris puts the perfect Southern spin on his recipe. Harris says the true uniqueness to the Tupelo bloody mary is their homemade tomato juice. They use only the best DOP Tomatoes (DOP stands for the Italian phrase Denominazione d’ Origine Protetta, roughly, “protected designation of origin”) imported from Italy, provided by their friends at Caputo’s Market. In addition the smoked salt and habanero pickle juice in the tomato base to complete the flavor. Below is his recipe for the perfect batch. Don’t forget you can get one of the Tupelo bloody mary’s daily during their lunch and apres service, but we especially enjoy their bloody mary bar every Sunday during brunch, with all of the hot sauce and garnish accoutrements you could hope for.
- 32 ounces homemade tomato juice
- 3 ounces habanero pickle juice
- 1 ounce lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh ground fine black pepper
- 2 ounces smoked sea salt
- 2 ounces fresh grated horseradish
- 1 ounce Sriracha
- Few Dashes of Chipotle Cholula
- 3 ounces Tito's Vodka per drink
- Combine all ingredients but vodka in a large pitcher. Pour 3 ounces vodka in each class. Add a few ice cups, pour desired amount of mix and garnish with a strip of bacon and your favorite pickled garnishes.