I normally don’t have a sweet tooth; however, I have been craving ooey-goey desserts lately. I was fortunate enough to participate in the photoshoot of the Goldener Hirsch sticky toffee pudding for our Ask For It section of the Dishing summer issue. My only regret was stepping away from the shoot, just long enough for the rest of the party to have eaten the ice cream.
Congratulations to Goldener Hirsch on winning Best Fine Dining Chef and Best Fine Dining European Cuisine 2017. Make this heavenly dessert at home, or head up to Goldener Hirsch and they will take care of your sweet tooth today.
- For the cake:
- 6 ounces pitted dates
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 2 ounces butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- For the caramel:
- 2 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 4 ounces butter
- 2 cups brown sugar
- Heat oven to 350 F.
- To make the cake, place dates in a heat-proof bowl and pour in boiling water.
- Let sit for 20 minutes. Strain off the excess water and blend dates into a smooth puree.
- Add water as needed, then set aside.
- In a stand mixer, cream butter and sugar until light in color.
- Add eggs and vanilla and mix until combined.
- Add all dry ingredients, but don’t over mix or the cake will be too chewy.
- Add the date puree and mix until smooth.
- Fill heavily buttered baking cups with mixture a little more than halfway.
- Bake until golden brown, about 15-20 minutes.
- Let cool completely.
- Meanwhile, to make the caramel:
- Pour all ingredients into a pot and on low heat bring to boil.
- Let simmer for 30-45 minutes until the color of amber.
- Let cool slightly before moving on to the next steps.
- Pop cakes out of cups and pour enough caramel to cover the bottom of the cups.
- Place cake back into molds and pour a generous amount of caramel all over the cake.
- Cover, and when serving, warm in oven until bubbles form around edges.
- Serve with your favorite ice cream or a simple whipped cream and roasted pineapples.