Under Chef Curtis Lindley’s watchful eye, the Apex Sensory Garden at Montage Deer Valley is beginning to flourish. So on a particularly sunny mountain day, we asked Lindley of Daly’s and Dave Wallace, director of beverage at Montage, to come up with a special drink for Dishing. Chef Lindley went right for the Kentucky Colonel mint, and Wallace paired it with plump, ripe blackberries and Sagamore Rye.
Montage Deer Valley currently sits where wild blackberries grow in abundance. A local favorite past-time has been to hike up the mountain for harvesting blackberries during berry season.
Get the recipe below, and watch the video to see Dave mix up this special concoction for Dishing!
- 6 mint leaves, more for garnish
- 3 blackberries, 1 more for garnish
- 1.5 ounces Sagamore Rye or your favorite whiskey
- .5 ounces fresh lemon juice
- .5 ounces simple syrup
- ginger ale
- In a large glass, muddle the mint leaves, blackberries and ice.
- Add the whiskey, lemon juice and simple syrup.
- Shake well.
- Strain into an Old Fashioned glass filled with ice.
- Top with a splash of ginger ale.
- Garnish with mint and a blackberry .