The mussels at Buona Vita achieve hearty flavor in a relatively light dish. Decadent and bursting with flavor, and served with a side of grilled bread to soak up all those juices, this dish is a guilt-free indulgence for your taste buds.
The mussels at Buona Vita are so delicious that I want to lick the bowl clean. The broth is decadent, especially with the briny bursts of flavor from the capers. Can you find out their secrets so I can re-create this at home? ~Sara Gardner, Charlotte, North Carolina
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon shallots, diced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 pound mussels, cleaned
- 1 teaspoon capers
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup fresh tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Grilled bread for serving
- Heat the oil in a saute pan over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and shallots and sweat.
- Add the white wine and mussels, and cover the pan with a lid.
- After a few minutes, check to see that the mussels have opened.
- When they have, scoop them out, leaving the liquid behind.
- Add the capers, lemon juice and tomatoes, and cook down to reduce the liquid by half.
- When reduced, add the cream and salt and pepper to taste, then pour over the mussels.
- Serve with grilled bread on the side to dip into the liquid.