The cheddar chive biscuits with bacon jam at Fletcher’s are, well…addicting. Jaclyn phrased it best:
I cannot go to Fletcher’s without ordering the biscuits with bacon jam. I crave them so often that I’d like to be able to whip up a batch on my own. Can you help feed my addiction? ~Jaclyn Payne, Park City, Utah
Bacon, cheddar and in biscuit form? Buttery, savory and perfectly moist, these morsels deliver a myriad of flavors in every bite.
- 16 ounces all-purpose flour
- 4 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ounce sugar
- 6 ounces buttermilk
- 1 ounce chives, chopped
- 6 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, cut to 1/4-inch dice
- 4 ounces whole butter, grated and frozen
- 1 cup flour for dusting
- 1/2 cup clarified butter
- Kosher salt, garnish
- 3 3/4 pounds bacon, cut to 1/2-inch dice
- 1/2 quart red onion, diced
- 1 1/4 tablespoons fresh garlic, minced
- 2 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground mustard
- 3/4 cup bourbon
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 quart chicken stock
- 1 cup brown sugar
- Heat oven to 400 F.
- Combine flour, baking powder and baking soda and sift together.
- Place sifted ingredients in a kitchen mixer; add the salt and sugar.
- Add the buttermilk, chives and cheddar and mix.
- Then add the frozen butter and mix, being careful not to overmix.
- Dust a kitchen counter with extra flour.
- Place the mix on the counter and dust the top with flour.
- Roll out to 1/2-inch thick.
- Using a biscuit dough cutter, cut biscuits.
- Before placing in the oven, brush with clarified butter and sprinkle with kosher salt.
- Bake for 9 minutes.
- Begin browning the back in a large thick-bottomed pot.
- Dice the red onion while the bacon is cooking.
- When the bacon is brown, drain half the bacon fat and discard.
- Add the onions and garlic and cook on low heat until transparent.
- Add the dry ingredients and cook for 5 minutes, stirring.
- Next, add the bourbon, syrup and honey - be careful as the bourbon may flame up.
- Add the chicken stock and brown sugar and simmer until thick.
- Remove from heat and puree.