Lespri’s kale and quinoa salad is fresh-tasting and healthy, while still delivering heartiness from the quinoa. The smell of snow may be in the air and on the mountains, but whip up this salad celebrating Utah’s summer flavors before they completely disappear into hibernation.
- 1/2 cup mirin
- 1 tablespoon blackberry puree
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup Utah honey
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 cup emulsified oil (a blend of 50 percent canola oil and 50 percent extra-virgin olive oil mixed together)
- 2 cups fresh kale, torn and massaged with olive oil to get rid of any bitterness or toughness
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup cooked red quinoa
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- Begin by preparing the dressing.
- Combine the mirin, blackberry puree, vinegar, sugar, honey and seasonings in a bowl.
- Whisk to combine.
- Slowly whisk in the oil until the dressing is thick.
- Toss together salad ingredients.
- Then, add enough dressing to the salad to cover the greens, and let it sit for about 15 minutes before eating to soften the kale.
- Finish with an extra grind or two of coarse sea salt on top.