Do you have to go to the south to get good grits? No. Because the poblano parmesan grits at Purple Sage hold up to southern standards:
Some friends took me to Purple Sage when I came to visit this past fall. Being from the south, I definitely had to see if the grits could hold up to our standards. They exceeded my expectations, and I loved the southwestern twist of poblano peppers. I’d like to make it for my friends back home. Any chance I can get the recipe? Thanks, David Brown, Bluffton, South Carolina
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup green chilies
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated onion
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 6 cups water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable base
- 2 cups heirloom grits
- 1/2 cup polenta
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Blend milk, chilies and spices in a blender until smooth.
- Add to water, butter and vegetable base in a large pot, bringing it all to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer.
- Slowly whisk in the polenta and grits, and cook for 10 minutes.
- Take off the heat and fold in 1 cup grated Parmesan.